Harvey Milk: Interview w/ Creston @ Metal Sucks!

Creston Spiers: Excuse me if I seem a little distracted. I’m driving right now, but we can go ahead and do the interview.

Gary Suarez: Okay. Please stay safe.

I will. I’m buckled up.

Great, I appreciate knowing that. I have to say, as someone who’s listened to several Harvey Milk albums, I couldn’t believe how bleak and depressing the new album sounds, especially in contrast with Life . . . the Best Game in Town. Where is this darkness coming from?

Well you’re definitely right, it is a bleak record. It’s pretty much slow and low all the way through. The story that goes along with it is pretty depressing. I think it really comes the fact that I decided from the beginning that I was going to set this story to music. It just has that feel to it. I try, I guess, to make the music match to what’s happening emotionally. It’s a pretty bleak story. I think that all of us, after the last record, wanted to make something that we felt was kind of more like us. This is definitely that. This record is us all the way.

This is very different from records like The Pleaser. There is certainly no “Rock & Roll Party Tonight” on this one.

This record was unique for us in that it was conceived all at one time, and it was written through as a record as opposed to a collection of songs. The music is all one piece. I don’t know if I would say that it was the record that we wanted to make; we intentionally designed to make this really bleak, depressing record. It’s just that that’s what sort of what came out once I decided I was going to write this story. I sort of made the decision on what notes I was going to use, what the flow was going to be like, and what the tone of it was going to be like – it just sort of came out that way. I don’t think it was intentional that we were going to have a record without any rockers on it or any mid-tempo songs on it. It just sort of organically formed that way.



0 comments